National Nutrition Month Week #4 ~ Spring Chicken Soup
It’s time for Spring Cleaning, but don’t forget to Spring clean your body too! After the winter months of heavy eating and a few extra pounds, give your body a much needed immune boost with this nutritious soup. This soup is also great if you have a cold or just need a little pick me up. It is loaded with good- for- you- nutrients that will having you feeling like a Spring Chicken again!
- 2 quarts water ( you can adjust the amount of water depending on how thin or thick you like your soup to be)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Bone in chicken breasts
- 1 to 2 cups of frozen okra (1 small bag frozen) ( you can add more or less depending on your preference)
- 1 to 2 cups frozen carrots and peas (1 small bag frozen) (you can add more or less depending on your preference)
- 2 large zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa or brown rice
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
Heat the olive oil on medium high heat in a large pot. Add sliced onions to pot, and saute until translucent. Add 2 quarts of water to pot. Add chicken and turn heat up to high and allow to come to a boil, then turn down heat to medium high. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Once chicken is tender, remove chicken from bones, discard bones, then add chicken back to soup to simmer an additional 30-45 minutes. Add another pinch of cilantro when you place into your serving bowls. Enjoy!
Homemade chicken soup is so much healthier than the store bought canned versions. By simmering the chicken with the vegetables, you get the true benefits of chicken soup!
Some nutrition benefits include:
- Boosting your immune system
- Fighting inflammation in the body
- An easy to digest meal that the body can more easily absorb vital nutrients such as vitamins A, B, and calcium.
- Healing nutrients for your stomach and the rest of your digestive system!
Recipe by Dacia Lyn Breeden, RD
Photo Credit: http://www.jaydayimages.com/